- Always lock your door; a short trip to another room or to the bathroom provides an opportunity for theft.
- Report suspicious persons and/or activity.
- Call Escort Services any time you feel uncomfortable about leaving one area to go to another.
- Program Safety’s Emergency number into your cell phone 717-372-2255.
- Do not prop open exterior doors in the residence halls or classroom buildings.
- Avoid walking alone. Be aware of your surroundings when walking, entering a building or car.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption.
- Always lock your car; keep the windows up. Do not leave valuable items (GPS devices, cell phones, IPods) in plain sight.
- Avoid use of a cell phone when driving, riding a bike, walking or crossing a street.
- Have your keys ready before you arrive at your vehicle.
- Do not leave cash, credit/debit cards in a visible location in your residence hall room. Do not let others know where you keep these items.
- Do not let others use your credit/debit cards. Do not share passwords or other ID information.
- Complete an incident report in the event of an accident, theft, and/or anything suspicious.
- If out with friends, drink responsibly. Do not leave your drink unattended; watch it being made and/or opened.
- Do not give out private, personal information on websites like Facebook; Myspace, and others. (Check Internet Dating Safety Tips)
- If you are planning a trip away from campus/home, share details of your plans with your roommate or trusted friend.
- Know your limits when you are out drinking.
- Set firm boundaries with new people you meet while clubbing or partying.
- Follow your instincts. If something does not feel right, change directions, go to a public place, use an emergency phone.
Emergency Call Boxes
Emergency call boxes have been installed in various places on campus.
Call Box Locations
- Tower-mounted box at the expanded Hankey Lot
- Tower box at the sidewalk near the tennis courts
- Wall-mounted unit at the Hawthorne Arena
- Wall-mounted unit at the back of the L.P.N. classroom between Disert and Rosenkrans residence halls.
- Red button to reach Campus Safety for emergencies
- Gray button to reach Campus Safety for informational purposes